A New Twist on Mother's Day
Sending Some Healing Your Way
With the weather this year, it provides a different way to look at “March Madness”. Usually we are thinking about where our favorite basketball teams are bracketed. This year, many of us are just hoping that it will stop snowing!
With the cold, we are hearing that some of your customers are hunkered down in their houses and staying put. Whether they are watching the March Madness games or trying trying to recover from their latest encounter with old man winter - send some Healing
Our luxury spa-grade blend in our Massage Candles was developed just for times like now. Cold weather can make our poor skin cracked and dry. So, get some relief with our Massage Candles that are all specially blended with:
- Soy Butter (high in lecithin, sterolins, vitamin E, omega 3 fatty acids and isoflavones)
- Shea Butter (with Vitamins A, E and natural fatty acids)
- Jojoba Oil (an excellent moisturizer)
Just think, that wonderful moisturizing blend, heated just a few degrees above body temperature could easily warm up your viewpoint on this cold March weather. We like to say, "A candle never felt so good!"
For times like these, we turn to our Healing Blend
. We added the all-natural essential oils of Tea Tree and Lemongrass. Why these two?
- Tea Tree Essential Oil – made from the leaves of the Melaleuca alternifolia plant, is believed to have antibacterial and anti-fungal properties 1
- Lemongrass Essential Oil– Some of you may have had food with Lemongrass, but might not use it. Why not? This essential oil, made from the lemongrass plant, and has some wonderful medicinal properties. It has been used throughout the world and is one of the most popular Essential Oils.2
To learn more about the specific ingredients that are in our Massage Candles click here.
Grab A Bit O' Green for St. Patrick's Day!
This month, we also celebrate St. Patrick’s Day (Monday,March 17th)! We all hope for the “luck of the Irish” in March.
We love nature here at Scandle. St. Patrick’s Day makes us think of the Shamrock, known as a symbol of Ireland3.
Fun Facts about Clovers
- The highest known number of leaves on a clover is 56, according to the Guinness Book of World Records. This was found in Japan in 2009.4 That is a LOT of leaves!
- Legend says that each leaf of the clover means something: the first is for hope, the second for faith, the third for love and the fourth for luck.5
Ready to go hunting for clover?
Check out this wikihow on how to find clover: http://www.wikihow.com/Find-a-Four-Leaf-Clover
Get your clients in the spirit with some of our Scandle favorites featuring the color of this festive Irish holiday:
- Eucalyptus – Scent of fresh picked eucalyptus leaves with hints of Lime.
- Gardenia – Scent of gardenia and jasmine with a strong orange flavor bottom note.
- Green Tea & Aloe – Scent of fresh citrus and jasmine petals on a woodsy, sweet musk background.
- Sage & Citrus – Scent of mandarin, tangerine, ruby red grapefruit, and lemon rinds, with base notes of fresh sage leaves.
Facebook Friends Take Note
Here at Scandle, we have a love-hate relationship with Facebook. We Love to hear about the great things that our partners are doing with our Scandle Massage Candles.
Check out our page
to see what Luxure Nail Bar, Celebration Day Spa and House of Glow at Cicero did just last week. We love to promote and share what you all are doing.
The Hate part?
Facebook changes all of the time and now we don’t know (or can’t see) many of you. This might change next week (we hear rumblings that a new, new, new version of Facebook is on its way), but for now, please TAG “Scandle Candle” whenever you post about us.
What does that mean?
When you show pictures or write about us, in the body of the update (or the comments section) type “Scandle Candle” that should tag us and alert our team that you are talking about us. Then we can like, comment, and share your posts!
1C. F. Carson,1 K. A. Hammer,1 and T.V. Riley “Melaleuca alternifolia (Tea Tree) Oil: a Review of Antimicrobial andOther Medicinal Properties.”2009. 2 About.com Health Benefits ofLemongrass Essential Oil
4Guiness Book of World Records. http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/1/most-leaves-on-a-clover5Four LeafClover.com http://www.fourleafclover.com/vshop/facts_about_4-leaf_clovers
Love is in the Air
The winter holidays are over, resolutions are made, and 2014 is upon us. What does that mean? Valentines Day is right around the corner. Early retail customers are already stocking up and planning for the big day. We are too! Out of our vaults come our seasonal fragrances Sugar Kisses and Chocolate Dipped Strawberry. We quietly launched them last week and they are flying off the shelves. In addition to those, here are some of our most popular fragrances this time of the year!
How to Increase Sales with Scandle Massage Candles
There are so many ways to increase sales with our Massage Candles:
This week is the offical start of the holiday season and what better way to celebrate than with a luxurious holiday spa treatment featuring The Scandle Body Lotion Candle or Scandle Shimmering Lotion Candle and Scandle's Body Scrubs!
- Pretty retail setting and share, share, share – One of our multi-store chains, SOAK, does just that. They have set up a welcoming retail space, integrated the candles into one of their signature services and then they POST, POST, POST in social media. We LIKE, LIKE, LIKE, that and are always looking to feature (and brag about) our fabulous wholesale customers. Keep your pictures coming via email or on Facebook :)
- Combo Gift Certificates: This time of year gift certificates are a perennial favorite. What a lovely presentation for a gift with one of our Sugar Kisses 4 oz tins!
- Signature Treatments: As a special service for the Valentines (or for gift certificates afterwards). Treat folks to a few options:
- Signature Sugar Kissed Manicure/Pedicure: follow your traditional mani/pedi with a warming and moisturizing finish with one of our Sugar Kisses Massage Candles. Its great for winter struck hands and feet!
- Warming Chocolate Strawberry Experience: for a wonderful Valentine’s gift , create a Chocolate Strawberry Massage Experience – Switch your standard massage oil with our Chocolate Dipped Strawberry (our refills save $$ in your back bar) Massage Candles. When your clients are warm and relaxed after the massage, complete the luxury with some real chocolate dipped strawberries. Yummy and therapeutic!
- Sprinkle Scandle's Body Scrub on desired body area to be exfoliated and then pour the warm soothing melted Scandle Body Candle oil on top of that in small amounts
- Massage in circular motions on the skin.
- When done either rinse off or take a warm, damp towel and remove any excess salt or sugar from the skin.
It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas and for the next few weeks, counting down to Christmas, Scandle will be featuring a new spa treatment idea that's sure to bring some holiday cheer to your clients and sales!
Next week we celebrate Thanksgiving Day traditions and the kick off to the holiday shopping season with "Black Friday." After hitting the malls at the crack of dawn, your customers could probably use some pep in their step with this fabulous spa pedicure, created by Luxure Nail and Beauty Bar and featured by Nails Magazine.
We have mixed it up with a few Scandle faves including Scandle's Fresh Blend Aromatherapy Lotion Candle, Scandle's Dead Sea Salt Soak, and Scandle's Hawaiian Turbinado Sugar Scrub.
1.) Begin your treatment by relaxing the client with some aromatherapy by lighting your Fresh Blend Scandle Massage Oil Candle (or use The Scandle Lamp as a flame-less alternative).
2.) Soak the client’s feet in warm water and Scandle's Dead Sea Salt Soak & Scrub for about 10 minutes.
3.) Prep the client's nails.4.) Exfoliate the client’s feet and lower legs with Scandle's Hawaiian Raw Turbinado Sugar Scrub.
5.) Massage the client’s feet and lower legs with Scandle's Fresh Blend Body Massage Candle.
6.) Apply festive holiday color to nails, if desired.
So put some pep into your client's step and your holiday profits by incorporating Scandle Massage Products into your holiday inspired services today!
Photos Originally Published by Nails Magazine - June 2013www.scandlecandle.com
This month, Scandle shows "thanks" to all of the wonderful things that make the fall season and Thanksgiving great! When we think of fall and Thanksgiving several smells come to mind including apples, clove, and nutmeg which are all key notes in our Autumn Harvest Limited Edition Scandle Body Candle. Apples are a part of the rose family and are typically hand-picked in the fall season.1 Archaeologists have found apple evidence in digs dating back to 6500 B.C. 2 The apple pie, a Thanksgiving Day and fall favorite, dates back to The Middle Ages.3 However, when the first settlers arrived in America, the only apple native to North America was the crab apple, so it wasn't until The Pilgrims arrived in America that the first apples, that we now use in apple pies, were planted in The Massachusetts Bay Colony and introduced to America!1
Clove is one of the best four spices in the world (in addition to nutmeg, which we'll talk about in a bit) and because of its high value in The Middle Ages, wars were fought to protect this lucrative spice.4 Today clove is used in Thanksgiving and fall favorites like pumpkin pie and gingerbread. However, once upon a time, the spice was prized for its ability to mask poorly preserved foods!5
Did you know that Nutmeg is not just one spice, but actually two? Mace is also derived from the nutmeg fruit.6 During the 1700s, The Dutch waged bloody wars to win control over this invaluable spice. Today, Nutmeg is used in a variety of Thanksgiving and fall baked dishes. It is also widely used in holiday favorites like eggnog and mulled cider..7 Keep an eye out for our Limited Edition Holiday Fragrances: Silent Night and Holiday Spirit. Both Body Lotion Candle fragrances are a holiday favorite and will be a great add on for your clients looking for a unique holiday spa gift or stocking stuffer! To spread holiday cheer, be on the look out for our weekly "Countdown to Christmas" blog posts featuring treatment ideas using The Scandle Massage Candle that with have your clients feeling the holiday cheer!
7 Wikpedia.org "Nutmeg"
Today in our final post on our series about Scandle's Aromatherapy Essentials Massage Candle, we focus our attention on Spearmint, which is one of the essential oils found in our Fresh Blend.
Spearmint gets its name from the pointed "spear-like" leaves of the spearmint plant that the essential oil is derived from. The other half of its name comes from the Latin word "mente" meaning "thought".1 In ancient times, Greeks used spearmint to fragrance their bath water. During Medieval times, people used it to whiten their teeth. 2 During this age people also threw Spearmint on the floor to ward off rodents and encourage good health.1
Today, spearmint has a variety of uses including:3
- Aiding with respiratory problems
- Soothing tired muscles
- Stimulating and uplift the mind
- Helping with skin conditions such as acne and dermatitis
1 Experience Essential Oils “Spearmint Plants – Not Just for Mojitos and Mint Juleps!”
2 Esoteric Oils. “Spearmint Essential Oil Information.” 3 Bella Mira Essential Oils “Organic Spearmint Essential Oil.”
Eucalyptus, came from the Greek words, “eu” meaning well and “kalyptos,” meaning covered, referring to the bud cap that initially covers the flower.1 Although the branches of the Eucalyptus tree can keep you well-covered...beware! Eucalyptus trees have a tendency of dropping entire branches off as they grow (particularly during times of drought). Historically, many pioneer tree-felling workers were killed by falling branches as they camped under them, which is why The Australian Ghost Gum eucalyptus tree was given the nickname, "widow maker."2
Even slight amounts of Eucalyptus essential oils may be beneficial for: 3
- Muscle aches & pain
- Nasal & chest congestion
- Repelling insects
- Antiseptic use
1 The Blog Farm “Fun Flower Facts – Eucalyptus.”
2 Abundant Life Essentials
3 The Healthy Haven “Suggested Uses for Eucalyptus Essential Oil.”
Today in our continuing series on our Scandle Aromatherapy Essentials Massage Candle, we focus our attention on one of the most widely used of all aromatic essential oils - peppermint, which is also one of the essential oils in our Fresh Blend.
Peppermint was known as far back as 1000 BC by the Egyptians, who designated the herb to Horus1, the “falcon-headed god of light.2 The myth surrounding Peppermint, or Minthe or Mentha as it was known by the Romans, is fascinating. Peppermint (Mentha) was said to be a nymph, or female spirit, loved by Pluto, the god of the dead. When his queen found about this love, she trampled Mentha. Pluto brought her back to life as Peppermint. So, the more the mint was walked on the sweeter the smell. 2 3 Over history, great leaders have believed that Peppermint was an aphrodisiac, which caused great controversy. Alexander the Great forbade it on his battlefield for this reason. Aristotle even included Peppermint in his writings.3 Modern scientists say that Peppermint can help one concentrate and stay awake and alert. 1 Other uses for peppermint include:4
- Aid in digestive disorders
- Relieve muscle spasms and arthritis
- Clear sinuses and lung congestion
- Treatment of dry skin conditions
1 Discovery Health & Fitness,. “Aromatherapy: Peppermint.” 2 Merriam-Webster. “Horus.” 3 American Botanical Council, “Peppermint” Rosemary has SO many potential uses. In ancient times, Rosemary was burned to produce a smoke to protect against brain weakness and dizziness. It was burned in schools to “inspire” pupils. Rosemary was also used as church incense, in fact, the old French name for the word Rosemary was “incensier” because of this usage. And up until the 20th century, Rosemary was burned in hospitals to purify the air.1 Even in current days, researchers are finding more about the positive benefits of Rosemary, specifically with Rosemary essential oil. British researchers found in 2013 that Rosemary essential oil, “boosted healthy adults' ability to recall past events and remember to perform future tasks, which could include taking medication or sending a birthday card, at the correct time.” 2
- Improve circulation
- Aid in respiratory issues
- Help with oily/acne prone skin
Even Shakespeare knew about Rosemary! As he wrote in Hamlet, "There's rosemary, that's for remembrance: pray you, love, remember." 1Discovery Health & Fitness. “Aromatherapy: Rosemary.” 2 The Telegraph, “Shakespeare was right: rosemary oil boosts memory” April 9 2013.
This month we focus our attention to one of our newest aromatherapy blends at Scandle Body Candle
is a wonderfully invigorating essential oil blend of lemon, rosemary, peppermint, eucalyptus, and spearmint.
One of the essential oils in our Fresh Aromatherapy Blend Massage Candles
. Our Lemon Essential Oil is cold pressed and made from the nutrient rich lemon peel.
Lemon oil has been known to provide the following benefits:
Start incorporating Scandle's Fresh Aromatherapy Blend Massage Candles into your spa or massage
- Aid in concentration and improve alertness.
- Increase efficiency & build a positive mind-set.
- Rejuvenate dull skin
- Help treat acne and oily skin
practice and experience the benefits of this amazing essential oil today!
Source: "Lemon Oil Health Benefits" Yogawiz.com
Yesterday, September 22nd, was the first official day of fall. Scandle
says goodbye to the sweltering hot days of summer and welcomes fall with our Autumn Harvest
limited edition fragrance and a celebration of "fresh" aromatherapy
for the entire month of October!
Scandle's Limited Edition Fall Fragrance Is Here!Celebrate the cooler temperatures and crisp autumn air with Scandle's Limited Edition Fragrance. Autumn Harvest features notes of fresh hot cider made from ripe McIntosh apples sprinkled with brown sugar, cinnamon sticks, clove, nutmeg and a touch of citrus zest. Make sure to stock your fall inventory with this limited edition favorite before it's gone!
It's A "Fresh" Celebration!
This month Scandle celebrates a fresh, new website with a celebration of our Fresh Aromatherapy Essential Oil Blend. This wonderful blend features a pure essential oil blend of lemon, rosemary, peppermint, eucalyptus and spearmint. Stay tuned in the coming weeks as we highlight the benefits of each of Fresh's therapeutic notes and how they can freshen up your current spa/massage service & retail offering!
Check out our NEW website featuring our award-winning aromatherapy massage candles, product education & business inspiration for spa owners, massage therapists, & gift retailers.
August can be the most challenging for spas, clinics, and wellness retailers because there are really no holidays to promote and budgets are allocated toward summer vacations and back-to-school. Here are a couple of ideas on stimulating business as kids, parents, and teachers get ready to head back to school:
- Teachers - Mail an offer such as "Save X percent on your skincare and make-up needs," to each teacher at school and have it waiting in their inboxes.
- Kids - Travel sized products are ideal for backpacks and lockers. So stock travel sized versions of "kid friendly" products.
- Moms - How about an "I survived the summer" promotion offering a spa escape or home spa products like The Scandle Body Massage Candle for stress relief? Send out people (family, friends, whatever!) to hand out coupons, flyers, etc. at bus stops or car pool lanes where moms congregate.
These are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to ideas to tie your sales/revenue into back to school dollars. Have any of your own? Feel free to share below.:)
We all love the look of sexy bronzed skin. But, let's face it, nobody likes the look of sun damage. Luckily, with today's sunless tanners, you can help your clients fake it!:)
Today's sunless tanners have traveled a very long way. The days of orange, zebra-like streaks are gone, if you know how to correctly apply the tanner and most importantly, prep your client's skin. Here are some tips:
- Ask the client to not shave their legs within 2 hours of applying the tanner, especially if they have sensitive skin. If the tanner causes a skin reaction you will be left with little dark red bumps from razor burn. If they are prone to razor burn and need to shave the day before, recommend Scandle's Eco Shave and Shower Foam.
- A couple of minutes after you have applied the tanner, be sure to rub areas such as elbows and knees with a little Scandle Lotion Candle to lighten the effect.
- Always use tanners that are specific to that body part. Sunless tanners for face are just for that...the FACE! If you use a body tanner on the face, it could result in a look that your customer may not be too happy with.
What are some of your tips for applying sunless tanner? Share them here!
If you're using Pinterest
to promote your spa, massage or holistic health practice one surefire way to optimize your pins for search and attract more traffic is by giving each one a targeted description that includes your relevant keywords in 500 characters or less. Here are some tips to writing Pinterest captions that will attract customers:
- Provide a Description - Clear, concise, and specific description of a pin can help pique a user's interest. Don't leave it to their imagination as to why you pinned the image.
- Spell Out the Specifics - Simply saying, " These are really great product picks," say something more specific like, "These are are our top product picks for keeping your skin looking fabulous this summer!"
- Link to Your Website - You can add live links to the captions below your pins simply by adding a URL to a pin's description and clicking the red "Save Pin" button. This will add traffic to your website or blog.
- Include A Call to Action - Descriptions that contain a call to action (i.e. read more, book a free consultation, sign up online, etc.) see an 80 percent increase in engagement.
- Add Testimonials - Include a testimonial from a happy customer.
- Use Keywords - Inclusion of keywords and phrases your target audience is searching for. This will also increase your Google search engine rankings.
What tips do you have for better pinning? Share them here and be sure to follow us on Pinterest at http://www.pinterest.com/scandle
Source: "How Your Pinterest Descriptions Can Attract Customers," by Karen Leland, Entrepreneur Magazine
Summer (calendar wise) hasn't even begun and we are already infested with bugs here in Texas! If you're like me, aka "The Human Mosquito Magnet," the thought of being in the great outdoors and becoming a "drinking fountain" for every mosquito in a 100 mile radius can be a nightmare! If you're looking for a natural alternative to potentially harmful commercial insect repellants that contain many harmful ingredients, are irritating to the skin and the eyes, and are potentially damaging to the immune system & environment...give all natural essential oils a try! They are equally, if not more, effective and are better for your skin and overall health.
So what is it that causes these "blood sucking beasts" to hunt us down for a cocktail? The things about humans that mosquitoes are attracted too are the carbon dioxide and lactic acid that we routinely exhale everyday. Mosquitoes smell these elements and are drawn to its source. When you apply the appropriate essential oils (in the right proportions...as many oils can not be used unless diluted with a carrier oil) to your skin, it can cover the scent of your exhalations and, as a result, prevent bug bites.
According to the Department of Agriculture, soybean oil (as found in Scandle Lotion Candles and Body Massage Candles
) can be an effective deterrent for mosquitoes. It is estimated that the amount of time of effectiveness ranges anywhere from 2 to 8 hours.
Geraniol, which can be extracted from lemon grass (found in Scandle's Healing Blend
and Deep Muscle Blend)
and geranium (found in Scandle's Tranquility Blend
) has also been shown in tests to be quite an effective repellent against mosquitoes as well as many other types of bugs. The University of Florida conducted tests on approximately 3,900 mixtures over a 15-year period, and geraniol proved to be among the most proficient in providing protection against mosquitoes.
Tea Tree Oil (found in Scandle's Soothing
Blends) are also effective for repelling mosquitoes, it also works to repel ants and lice, and can aid in the removal of ticks. It can be applied to insect bites as an antiseptic.
Some other helpful tips to prevent mosquito bites, do not drink alcohol. Alcoholic drinks are thought to attract mosquitoes because of the increased sugar content added to perspiration. Some mosquito species, including the Aedes and Ochlerotatus, are attracted to dark colors, so wearing white, green or yellow is recommended; however, the mosquito species Anopheles may prefer light colors. Eating garlic and vitamin B has been purported to prevent mosquitoes from biting, but research has not shown this to be true.So what other natural rememdies have you found for warding off mosquitos and other insects?
As the weather warms up, it's time to start getting your spa ready for summer. Check out our ideas to keep your spa treatment and retail sales flourishing during a time of year when profits can dry up!
Your customers spend a lot of time prepping their bodies for summer. Weather that be through hair removal, sunless tanning, manicures, pedicures, or body scrubs...it's time to take a look at your current retail and service offering and remove any vestiges of spring or winter.
Skin care services for summer should focus on body treatments, manicures and pedicures, and should incorporate and highlight scrubs (like Scandle's Dead Sea Salt Soak & Scrub
or Scandle's Hawaiian Turbinato Raw Sugar Scrub
), oils and lotions that utilize scents, such as cucumber, citrus, melon, and coconut (like Scandle's Sex on the Beach or Margarita Scented Massage Lotion Candle
). These aromas tend to generate increased happiness and energy which leads to customers that are more willing to open their pocketbooks!;) So make sure that you retail the products used in summertime treatments so clients can take home that "little bit o sunshine"!:)What Products Should You Focus On?
Here's a rundown of some of the things your customers will find most beneficial treatment and retail wise:
- Sunless Tanning - Offering sunless tanning treatments is a great way to give customers that "vacationed" look without the damaging effects of the sun on their skin. Offer a package that incorporates a body treatment scrub to reveal new skin cells, followed by the application of a sunless tanning product. At checkout offer some solutions that the customer can take home with them to prolong their sunless tan in the form of lotions (we recommend a Scandle Lotion Candle with added Shimmer to give skin a summer sexy glow), creams, and bronzers.
- Pedicures - It's sandal season! Make sure you're offering services to get those paws looking their best. Offer a pedicure package that incorporates a foot soak followed by a foot scrub to slough off callouses and winter skin (we recommend Scandle's Dead Sea Salt Soak and Scrub, a multifunctional foot soak and scrub in 1), followed by the appliction of a nourishing foot lotion like Scandle's Healing Blend Lotion Candle, infused with tea tree oil, or Scandle's Eucalyptus Lotion Candle.
- Hair Removal - As bikinis get smaller, the popularity of hair removal treatments are on the rise! (funny how that works?) So offer your customers some service options but also offer up solutions that they can do in the comfort/privacy of their own homes (like Scandle's Eco-Shave and Shower Foam a 2 in 1 shave foam & body wash in 1...perfect for travel)!
Just because everything else is as dry as The Sahara Desert in the summer...it doesn't mean your spa or retail profits have to be! Got any successful summer retail or treatment ideas? Let's hear about them!